Board of Directors
Chairman, Deputy Chairman, CEO, Directors and Secretary
The Board retains the primary responsibility for the Corporate Governance within the Bank, confirming compliance to provisions of the Central Bank of Ireland’s Corporate Governance Code for Credit Institutions (the “Code”).
The Board of Directors
The Board comprises 7 members, made up of 3 independent non-executive directors, 3 group directors and 1 executive director (the CEO).
Each director’s term of office is for 3 years at which point his or her membership will be reviewed (up to a maximum of 9 years).
The Chairman is proposed for election or reappointment on an annual basis.
The Board is responsible for corporate governance, encompassing leadership, direction and control of the Bank and is accountable to the sole shareholder for financial performance.
While the Board has generally delegated the day to day management, organisation and administration of the Bank’s affairs to the Management Team, the following matters are specifically reserved for decision by the Board:
- corporate governance within the Bank at all times and, in particular, overseeing the efficiency of governance arrangements;
- examining and approving the strategic, operational and financial plans of the Bank and monitoring periodically their related implementation;
- defining the risk appetite of the Bank, ensuring that the risk management system and internal controls reflect the risk appetite and that there are adequate arrangements in place to ensure there is regular reporting to the Board on compliance with the risk appetite;
- evaluating the adequacy of the organizational, administrative and accounting structure of the Bank, in particular, with regard to internal controls, the Board is responsible for implementing an adequate and effective internal control framework, which includes a well-functioning risk control, compliance and internal audit function as well as an appropriate financial reporting and accounting framework. The Board must satisfy itself that all key control functions within the Bank such as internal audit, compliance and risk management are independent of business units and have adequate resources and authority to operate effectively and receive timely, accurate and sufficient information;
- specifying the frequency with which relevant function heads should report to the Board on the activities performed in the exercise of the powers delegated to them (in any case this shall be no less than once every three months);
- evaluating the general performance of the Bank, paying particular attention to the information received from the function heads and periodically comparing the results achieved with those planned;
- performing, at least annually, an evaluation of the performance of the Board. Such evaluation shall consider the size and composition, taking into account the professional competence, experience and gender of Board members and the number of years that each member of the Board has been a director of the Bank.
The Bank has produced detailed terms of reference of the Board which are updated annually.
B. Broeker (Managing Director)
A. Williams (Chairman)
G. Laffineur (Deputy Chairman)
Chairman – Aidan Williams
Date of appointment – 29th January 2018
Mr Williams is a senior financial services executive with over forty years of experience in International Capital Markets and Investment Banking. He previously held senior roles with ABN AMRO Bank NV, Dublin and London based roles with Commerzbank AG, UBS Investment Bank and HSBC Global Banking and Markets. In these roles he has gained specific experience in Market Risk, Operational Risk, Balance Sheet Management, Business Strategy and Planning. He also has direct experience in the Distressed Loans Market, Structured Investment Product Sales and Asset Securitisation.
Company Name Country Appointed
- Bnp Paribas Vartry Reinsurance Designated Activity Company (334578)
- Goodbody Platform Icav (C158842)
- Macquarie Capital Ireland Dac (634747)
- National Asset Jv A Designated Activity Company (529807)
- National Asset Loan Management Designated Activity Company (480246)
- National Asset Management Agency Investment Designated Activity Company (480243)
- National Asset Management Designated Activity Company (480244)
- National Asset Management Group Services Designated Activity Company (480245)
- National Asset Management Services Designated Activity Company (480247)
- National Asset North Quays Designated Activity Company (559967)
- National Asset Property Management Designated Activity Company (480248)
- National Asset Residential Property Services Designated Activity Company (515581)
- Pembroke Beach Designated Activity Company (647557)
- Pembroke Ventures Designated Activity Company (630266)
- Pembroke West Homes Designated Activity Company (647558)
- EAA Covered Bond Bank Limited (354677)
- National Asset Management Agency
Group Director – Guy Laffineur
Date of Appointment – 6th June 2017
Mr Laffineur is currently Global Head of Markets since August 2016 and prior to this was Deputy Head of Markets for the risk cluster (trading activities) as well as directly overseeing FX, Commodities, CEE Trading, CVA and Quants;
Before joining UniCredit in 2011, Mr Laffineur worked at Crédit Agricole Group from 2003 – 2011 first as Head of Interest Rates, Currencies and Commodities and then as Global Head of Fixed Income. Before that, he worked for ten years at Crédit Lyonnais where he held various positions including Global Head of Derivatives and Fixed Income Division.
Mr Laffineur is a member of the Board of UniCredit Bank AG, Vienna Branch and member of the Board of the Association for Financial Markets in Europe (AFME).
CEO – Bernd Broeker
Date of appointment – 25th June 2020
Mr. Broeker has extensive experience in the Banking industry with more than 30 years employment in financial markets trading, sales, digital development and senior managerial roles across a variety of asset classes.
Mr. Broeker first joined the UniCredit Group in 2011 as Global Head of FX, was most recently Head of Institutional Distribution UK, CEE & France, and has managed Global businesses serving Corporate and Institutional clients in cooperation with most divisions of the bank. He has a deep and diverse experience in Global Markets through service at European, Asian and US financial institutions with focus on risk and people management, compliance, digital development and organizational culture.
Mr. Broeker has no external appointments
Group Director - Andrea Marchetti
Date of Appointment – 6th June 2017
Mr Marchetti has been working in UniCredit Group since 1992 covering different senior roles within Group Treasury and Finance Departments. He is currently working in the CFO competence line with a wide range of responsibilities which include Liquidity, Profit & Loss and Organizational Process analysis and reporting at Group level, with particular focus on the liquidity analysis according to new EBA/Delegated Act Regulatory framework.
Mr Marchetti has no external appointments.
Group Director – Attilio Napoli
Chairman of the Risk Committee and Member of the Audit Committee
Date of Appointment – 5th May 2016
Mr Napoli is currently Head of Financial Risk Italy and is responsible for the control of liquidity, interest rate, market, counterparty, trading credit and collateral risks at the Regional Center Italy.
Previously he worked within various entities of the UniCredit Group specifically as Head of Investments and Market Making for Capitalia.
Mr Napoli has no external appointments.
Independent Non-Executive Director – Ms. Tara Doyle
Member of the Board, Risk and Audit Committee
Date of Appointment – 8th May 2019
Tara Doyle is a partner in the Asset Management and Investment Funds Department at Matheson. She practices corporate and financial services law and has extensive experience in advising on the legal and regulatory issues surrounding the establishment of private and public investment funds, the structuring, offer and sale of investment instruments and investment products, the provision of investment advice and other financial services and the public issuance of equity and debt securities. Ms. Doyle advises many of the world's leading financial institutions, investment banks, asset management companies, broker-dealers and corporations carrying on business in Ireland or through Irish vehicles.
She was the first female head of an Irish asset management practice and in 2016 and 2017 was named Europe’s Best in Investment Funds at the Euromoney Women in Business Law Awards, the first Irish woman to receive that award. Ms Doyle was also included in The Hedge Fund Journal’s 50 Leading Women in Hedge Funds in 2017. In 2018 she was recognised in the IFLR1000 Women Leaders Guide as one of the 300 female lawyers considered to be among the best transactional specialists in their markets and practice areas.
Ms Doyle holds a number of Directorships in the following companies:
- Matheson Group Companies connected to her partner role in Matheson;
- Goldman Sachs Subsidiaries;
- Vanguard Group companies;
- World Vision.
Independent Non-Executive Director - Ms. Lynda Carroll
Member of the Board, Risk and Chair of Audit Committee
Date of Appointment – 27th February 2020
Lynda has over 30 years’ experience in financial services at board and senior executive level in the private and public sector. She has been Managing Director & Vice President Global Structured Finance Europe of De Lage Landen Ireland (part of the Rabobank group), Lead Central Bank of Ireland prudential supervisor of one of Ireland's pillar banks and Head of Capital Allocation & Risk Based Pricing at Allied Irish Banks plc.
A graduate of University College Dublin with an Honours Master of Arts degree, Lynda is a Chartered Accountant and Chartered Tax Advisor.
She holds a Chartered Accountants Ireland Diploma in International Financial Reporting Standards (2008) and the UCD Michael Smurfit Graduate Business School Professional Diploma in Corporate Governance (2016).
Lynda now works as an Independent Non-Executive Director in the financial services, state and voluntary sector.
Ms Carroll is a member of the Board of Governors and Guardians of the National Gallery of Ireland (2016), the Board of Dublin Bus (2019), the Board of Diversified Notes plc (2019) and of the Board of The Ark Children's Cultural Centre Company (2019)